If you know me at all, you know that breakfast is a must for me. I feel like I can't truly get my day started/function properly until I have some food in my stomach. Oh and coffee...but that's a different story ;)
One of my favorite things about days off is making a super delicious breakfast rather than just throwing together a bowl of cereal or yogurt, or worse, grabbing a granola bar to shove down my throat on the drive to work.
A breakfast recipe that I have been loving lately is...protein waffles! So good AND good for you...yes please! I recently got a waffle maker (thanks Grandma!), so I'm on a waffle kick. I'm not gonna lie, the first time I used it was a disaster. Waffle batter was stuck everywhere. It took me 30 minutes to clean the stupid thing.
But now that I've (almost) perfected making these waffles, I figured it was time to share them with you!
Here's what you'll need:
- 1/2 of a banana (I like to use really ripe ones for this recipe)
- 3 egg whites (you can use cartoned egg whites, but I usually just separate my eggs)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 packet of Perfect Fit Protein Powder (or any protein powder you want)
- 3 tablespoons of almond milk
- Any garnish that you want to put on your finished waffle :)
What you'll do:
- Put all ingredients in blender and mix together well
- Spray waffle maker with a non stick spray
- Pour batter into waffle maker
(don't fill waffle maker up all the way - leave room for the waffle to fluff while it's cooking...I made this mistake during the great waffle disaster I talked about above)
- Take waffle(s) out of waffle maker and top with your choice of garnish
(I like to put some organic honey, fat free Reddi Whip, and fruit on top of mine. I think they would be delicious with peanut butter, too)
The original recipe that inspired these can be found here.